Skip to main content

Sourdough Doughnuts.

The weekend is coming ❤❤

How about Doughnuts?? I love doughnut but if I think about the fat and calorie of a doughnuts. It drives me nuts. But my heart said let me do my first trial of making my self a doughnut.

Time for having something fancy for the weekend. I was thinking to make doughnut with my sourdough starter. Because here in Kolkata it is rare to find dry yeast. I used the local flour / maida which is all purpose flour.





Let me try my luck to make my first doughnuts. I never made doughnuts.

The night before I fed my starter with 100 gr flour and 75 ml water. I didnot want to have high hydration on my starter for the doughnuts.

Ingredients:
250 gr White flour starter
350 gr all purpose flour or 300 gr strong bread flour
2 egg yolks - room temperature
75 gr sugar (100 gr for sweet doughnuts) or 4 tbsp honey
3 tbsp melted butter
100 gr warm milk

Let us get started: 
1. Beat egg yolks with sugar or honey, add the melted butter. Mix it.

2. Add the starter to the warm milk, mix it well. 

3. Mix the egg mixture to the milk mixture and slowly add the flour. Stir it with your wooden spoon until it is homogenised. 

4. Time for kneading, remove out the dough on your counter top. If you feel the dough a bit sticky to you, you may 1 - 2 tbsp flour but not too much. 
Knead the dough for 12 - 15 minutes. You may use slap / flip and fold technique. Dough should be elastic and smooth. 

If you have kitchen mixer, you may use it to knead the dough for 5 minutes until the dough is elastic and smooth.

5. Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for 3 - 5 hours. Cover it with kitchen towel.

6. When the dough double in volume. Take it out on your slightly floured counter, stretch the dough / roll it to 1 cm thickness. It will be softer than regular doughnut dough. Cut out the dough with ring cutter. Place it on the parchment paper or floured baking tray.




For the rest dough, you can knead it and stretch it again. Cut it. the leftover dough, you may just leave it on its shapes. 

7. Cover the doughnuts with kitchen towel. Let it rise for one and half hours. 
Poke the dough. If the indent/poke you make with your finger stays longer / does not spring back quickly, the doughnuts are ready to be fried. 

8. Heat the oil in a pot, minimun filled it 1/4 pot - 1/2 pot full with oil. Do not over heat the oil. You may use a chopstick or wooden stick to test the oil. If the bubbles appear around the stick, the oil is ready to be used.

9. Place in two to three doughnuts once, fry it for 2 mins each side until golden brown. Bring it out to a plate with a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.

10. Fry the rest of the doughnuts. Let it cool down.

11. While cooling down, prepare the toppings such as plate with icing sugar powder, bowl of melted chocolate, bowl of chopped nut, or some jam, and many mores.


12. Dip each doughnut with the toppings. Your doughnuts are ready to be enjoyed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martabak using sourdough starter

Martabak Murtabak or martabak is a stuffed pancake or pan-fried bread which is commonly found in Saudi Arabia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Brunei. (resource:wikipedia.com) The sweet martabak is spread with butter/margarine, sugar, crushed peanuts, chocolate sprinkles, cheese and other toppings. Before serving, the martabak is folded in half, so the toppings get in the middle of martabak.

Sourdough oats bread

Sourdough oats bread The new year 2018 is coming, i have not updated my blog for long time. I have been doing some new metod of baking sourdough bread.

Brötchen - homemade bun

Back to Germany for vacation It is the family bonding time. I love to bake at home. This time, I try to bake Brötchen which is known as bread bun.