Skip to main content

Pan-baked sourdough buns / pav

Another day for experiment in my kitchen. I made buns with sourdough starter through cold fermentation. I added chia seeds into it. I baked it on non-stick pan.

The appearance of buns after shaping and proofing for 90 minutes



Here is the ingredients that I used to make this beautiful dough of buns.

Starter feeding:
2 tbsp starter – 50 gr from the fridge
1 tbsp whole wheat flour -20 gr
2 tbsp all purpose flour / bread flour – 40 gr
3 tbsp water – 40 ml
Consistency starter – not too thick and not too watery. After feeding, I left the starter for 2 hours in room temperature.  


Then I mixed it with the next ingredients as below: 

2 tbsp whole wheat flour – 30 gr
3 tbsp all purpose flour / bread flour – 75 gr
All starter ingredients from above
3/4 cup - 1 cup water – 125 - 150 ml 
Consistency dough – a bit sticky dough

Let the dough autolyse in room temperature for ½ hour, placed it in the fridge and cover with wet towel. Before I went to sleep, I folded the dough two times. Let it be in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, the dough has doubled in volume. I took out into the counter.

I mixed it with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds. Folded them togehter and let it be in the counter for 30 minutes.

I divided them into four buns and shape it into a ball. 

I did final proofing on the plate with lightly flour dusted for 90 minutes so It did not stick on the plate. Even though it was stick a bit. I managed it to remove it. They doubled in volume out of my expectation. 

I heated up the non-stick pan with the low medium heat. I place the buns one by one into the pan. With the medium heat, I baked it slowly each side minimun 8-10 minutes. They did even "spring" on the pan. I can't believe it but It happened even though it is not so high as in the oven. {I didn't make picture} 
Baked it with low medium heat in the pan for longer time makes the buns evenly cooked through the middle. I baked once with high heat but the middle of the bun was uncooked properly.


the outlook of the bun - the holes of the bun

The pan-baked buns for the Pav Bhaji Masala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martabak using sourdough starter

Martabak Murtabak or martabak is a stuffed pancake or pan-fried bread which is commonly found in Saudi Arabia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Brunei. (resource:wikipedia.com) The sweet martabak is spread with butter/margarine, sugar, crushed peanuts, chocolate sprinkles, cheese and other toppings. Before serving, the martabak is folded in half, so the toppings get in the middle of martabak.

Sourdough oats bread

Sourdough oats bread The new year 2018 is coming, i have not updated my blog for long time. I have been doing some new metod of baking sourdough bread.

Brötchen - homemade bun

Back to Germany for vacation It is the family bonding time. I love to bake at home. This time, I try to bake Brötchen which is known as bread bun.